• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 07:40 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

A crazy idea...

Started by Brad, Sep 26, 2010, 11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

For unknown reasons I've recently had another crazy idea. I'm considering creating a full-size arcade machine. You know, those big cabinets with the arcade control panel and the built in monitor, you put money into them and you play games with friends? Those things....

Well, the innards of what I'm considering would actually be a regular PC running an arcade emulator (MAME) which would allow you to play hundreds and hundreds of classic arcade games in classic arcade style. I'd get some classic arcade controls (which surprisingly aren't actually that expensive http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/ultimate_joy.htm ) wire them in such a way that they can interface with a PC. Build a cabinet to hold everything (I know a guy who has a CNC machine even...) mount a monitor or TV inside and have something pretty awesome.

It is completely possible, and has been done before. This website gives plenty examples of all sorts of instructions and tips. I can scrounge together a decent enough PC to shove in a cabinet and never see again with no problems. Finding a TV or monitor to mount should be pretty easy too. The controls are pretty cheap. About $3 per button and $10 per joystick. If I build a two-player machine that'd be 2 joysticks and 8-10 buttons for $50 total.

They've got a MAME interface called MAMEwah which completely hides the Windows operating system and is designed to be operated by arcade controls. That makes it easy to choose and play games without anyone (who didn't see it boot) know that you actually running a Windows PC.

There are tons of drawings with accurate dimensions of game cabinets. I have no doubt I could (with some help) construct a good looking one. Obviously cabinet materials will add some cost.

The most difficult thing will be the PC to arcade controls interface. From what I've seen there are several methods of doing this. You can buy various things like keyboard encoders (for about $99) or you can take one out of a keyboard you don't need anymore. This will be the most complicated and difficult part of it. I think it is within reach however. I can read a wiring diagram, I can solder and work a multimeter. There are tons of resources about this.

This would be the coolest project I've ever worked on. Seriously considering doing it. What do you guys think? Would you want to help?

Nick

I think wiring the buttons to a keyboard would be the easiest way to interface the thing. I'm surprised there is no USB recreation of old arcade controls. Not that that would be *as* do it your self, but you would still be making a cool arcade console with it.  I might have a TV for you to use, its a (kinda) big CRT. Not sure of the size. Its just taking up space at the moment.

zourtney

That would be quite awesome. Though you might want to consider not creating a full size cabinet because they take up a huge amount of space. Then again, you have a lot more space than I currently do.

Anyway, I have a spare 17" CRT, several keyboards...and an entire computer, come to think of it! You're welcome to any of it, if you want it. It's better to put old stuff to use than having it sit around collecting dust.

Brad

OK this project is officially going ahead. I talked with Melissa, thought about it alot and slept on it and it still seems aweosme and exciting.

I think a two player machine is the goal. 4 player would be too big. Gonna use 8 way joysticks for more versatility although its not as authentitic feeling for the older games. That will let you play fighting racing and shooter games. Not sure on the number or configuration of buttons yet. Probably a lot though so you can play fighting games. I can always create another control panel to swap out.

Planning and parts collection have already started. A recon trip to Wunderland is needed. Anybody up for that?

Nick

zourtney

Awesome. Keep us posted! I'm up for a Wunderland trip or two.

...Oh Panic Park, I've missed you so!

Brad

Started a randomland page for the project. Posted a bunch of design considerations and questions. Would appreciate any input you guys have to offer.

Nick

Do I need an amp?

Probably if you want decent sound. Or a pair of amplified speakers. I can hook you up with an old (and free to you) pair if your interested. You should also break out the volume control so you can adjust the sound levels as needed. Or make a button for that.

zourtney

A few thoughts:

• Subwoofer = very yes. You might want to have it turned way down for most games, but at least have it. I guess what I'm saying is: don't skimp on the sound system.
  • Electrical wiring: you probably don't need anything more complicated than a semi-okish surge protector
  • Maybe have a flip up panel where the controls are mounted? Or 4 screws, or some other method of easy access (though really, you should never need to get back there)
  • Monitors: call me lame, but I think you need a high-res monitor AND a TV. The computer monitor would be set near the ground and only used when needed. Dual monitors is easy and between us, we have plenty of monitors laying around. It really sucks trying to do normal computer tasks at 320x240 resolution. You will have more than enough room, too.
  • Computer: leave it in a normal case. Get a small case if you want. Just make sure to put the fan out against an opening and have an air inlet as well.
  • I have a 20-something inch TV and a 17" CRT you are welcome to borrow indefinitely.

Brad

Updated the randomland page.

zourtney

As for the monitor, are you going to use an old CRT? I'm a little worried your cabinet could dwarf its fortress....I mean cabinet.

Some quick, rough measurement from the back room (listed width by height):

• 23" TV: is about 19"x14"
  • 17" CRT: is about 13"x10"

...so, what's your take?

Brad

Nick offered me a 19" monitor or a 27" TV.  I think the monitor should be big enough. I plan to make a border around the monitor like you see in arcade games sometimes with instructions or game art on it.

As I have received offers of free stuff I think I am just going to take the biggest one which fits and try to work with it. I can always upgrade the monitor/TV size if one becomes available.

zourtney

Ahhh, now I see who's got the "big glass" to "fill the cabinet."

Um, nevermind, I'm stupid.

Brad

So I got the PC working. It's guts are still spilled all over a table in my garage, but I'll have it packed together and ready to go soon. Screwed around a bunch with stupid freakin emulators and front-ends.

For some reason the newest version of MAME hates certain ROMS. It claims they are missing files. However, the older version of MAME 1.19 loads them all fine. So I just decided to use that. Switched front-ends too. No longer using MAMEwah, now I'm using something called MaLa. So far so good.

Had a weird issue with the monitor Nick generously gave me today. It would screw up the displaying of non-1024x768 modes (such as when booting, or trying to play a video game). It was pincussion smushed and text was on top of it self, it was a big mess. After a while though the problem just went away. Now it all seems to work fine. Maybe something to do with not being used for a long time? I dunno.

Nick

The monitor seems to remember setting for different video modes. So you have to adjust the position and everything for each resolution. Perhaps it had all its setting corrupted or something. Who knows. Glad its working though.