• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:15 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Looking for 19" 4:3 Monitor

Started by Brad, Mar 17, 2011, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

Anybody know where I can find a good deal on a 19" 4:3 ratio monitor? Due to construction issues I need one for my arcade project (Nick you can have your CRT back if you want). I found an asus one on newegg for $149, but I want to find one I can actually look at to gauge how it looks when viewed from different angles. Some LCD monitors seem to have a larger range of viewing angles than others.

I'm heading up to Fry's this Saturday, anybody want to go along?

zourtney

Fry's eh? Eve and I might want to tag along. Not that I particularly need anything...! Just give me a call, stop by, or whatever. I'll be around.

And I do have an old monitor, but it's only 17". Which would be too small, right? $150 sounds steep, but then again, new CRTs are probably pretty hard to find.

Brad

Not looking for a CRT, need an LCD. Guess I forgot to mention that. This mostly do to the fact that CRTs are huge and heavy. Nick gave me a 19" CRT, but it adds an extra 10" to the depth of the arcade machine. This causes me to need to purchase two more sheets of wood, with lots of waste. I can't fit it any room in my house and it adds like an extra 200 lbs to the weight.

So I am looking for an LCD. I'd go bigger than 19" but those only come in widescreen. Need at least a 23" widescreen to equal the same display height of a 19" 4:3 ratio monitor.

zourtney

Oooooh, I get it. So, yeah, nevermind what I said. Having a widescreen monitor wouldn't be all bad though, assuming the software will crop an appropriate 4:3 ratio...and you might be able to mount it vertically.

Brad

I thought about mounting it vertically and it would work great for classic games and shooters, but games like street fighter, metal slug and all the other horizontal scrollers would be extremely cramped.

Brad

Zourtney and I went to Fry's and I put down a chunk of change on a new 23.6" viewsonic monitor. It's widescreen, but the height is still taller than a 19" 4:3 ratio. It's also about 1 1/2" deep, rather than 18" deep...

It wasn't a great deal, but it was an OK deal. So yeah, problem solved, thread ended, forums still dead.

Now on to modifying my cabinet plans for hopefully the last time!

zourtney

And we played lots of silly arcade games. Like that Evilsaurus Rex one! Anyway, I'd like to see a render of what the cabinet would look like (probably in the other thread). I think you posted a DWG file once, but that I never got around to downloading a viewer (plus, I view Randomland on my phone about 80% of the time anymore).