• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 05:13 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Looking for upgrade parts

Started by Brad, Mar 06, 2012, 08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

Gonna need to upgrade my desktop soon. I want to be able to edit HD videos and play games like Skyrim decently.

I've already got a decent video card... just need motherboard, cpu, ram and another HDD.

I'm so out of the loop though... not sure who is on top as far as CPU goes. Are we up to octo-core processors yet?

Nick

The i5 2500k is the best bang for your buck. But a thuban or the 6-core offer a cheaper solution that is almost as capable. Don't go bulldozer, they were a disappointment and were out performed by the older and chips.

I think the consensus is to get an sad drive for the core operating systems files and the virtual memory plus a program or two. That would make a good scratch drove for your video too.

Other then that most stuff is the same. Other than having Usb 3 is cool, but it can be had with a $12 add on card. 

Brad

Did you mean sas hdd? I couldn't find anything for sad drives.

Nick

No,  you have to get the most depressed harddrive you can.  They sadder, the faster.

But no, I meant SSD drive :) that's what I get for typing on a phone. They are super fast for the OS files but not real big just yet.

zourtney

I can't wait for EMO drives!  :P

Brad

OK so I ordered some parts. Not exactly the ones I posted, but fairly close.

I got the i5 2500k, a motherboard with two USB 3.0 ports in the back at least, 8gb of RAM and a 2TB hard drive. The previous hard drive I had selected was only 5200 RPM which seemed like a really stupid idea for a 2TB drive, so I got a little bit faster one.

Didn't get the SSD drive... it's over $150 for around a 120GB hard drive... Yeah I know boot up would be faster would be faster and I could also speed up a few hard-drive heavy programs too. Just isn't worth the extra cash to me at this point. It's always possible for a future upgrade.

Nick

Yeah, an SSD would be easyish to add ( probably have to reinstall windows) but it does make a big difference in boot times and makes windows just work smoother.

But cool!  This mean you are finally getting Skyrim soon?  :)

zourtney

Cool. And I have the feeling we'll see more of those hybrid SSD/HHD drives in the future...or that SSDs will just become commonplace and affordable.

Nick

Probably. I wouldn't be surprised at 500gb SSD drives for about $100 in 4 - 5 years.

Brad

I am going to try and hold off on Skyrim until the steam summer sales. I'd like to get it for 50% off. In the mean time I still have to beat fallout new vegas anyway.

Brad

Yay! My parts arrived today! Now I get to go build it and see if I can even get it to work.

Nick

Quote from: Brad on Mar 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yay! My parts arrived today! Now I get to go build it and see if I can even get it to work.

Yay! And good luck. Keep the dog noses and little fingers out of the case :)

Brad

Computer is built and seems to be working. Installing windows now.

The only issues I still have are my mouse isn't working in the install (no drivers probably) and I havent been able to get it to switch back to using my actual video card versus on board video. It is set to only use the on-board GPU if there is nothing in the PCE graphics slot but I guess that isn't working correctly or I am doing something wrong.  I'll fix it after windows gets installed.

zourtney

What are you putting on it? Windows 7?