• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:13 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Looking for upgrade parts

Started by Brad, Mar 06, 2012, 08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

Brad

Figured out my graphics card problem. I forgot to plug the extra cable from the power supply to the video card. I guess this thing takes a lot of juice. On the plus side, the fan case does look like the batmobile.

I have a new problem now. My stupid D-Link WDA-1320 is NOT compatible with Windows 7. The Vista drivers do not work.... and everyplace in town only sells USB wireless adapters. Annoying.

zourtney

If you need someone to crawl around in attics, drill holes in walls, and drop wires between studs...I will!

Nick

What's wrong with usb adapters? I have one you can borrow for a while. I got it to relocate my desktop but haven't used ut yet.

Brad

The only issue is I have a small child and anything sticking out of the computer he is likely to break off. This risk can be minimized by using the back USB ports and shoving it as close to the wall as possible. So it could work, but it is not my optimal solution I guess.

I don't have an attic unfortunately so it would have to be crawling around under the house.

I may make a trip up to Fry's to just grab one, or maybe I can find a fairly unobtrusive
USB adapter.

Brad

So I am making a trip up to Fry's after work. Anybody else want to come haha.

Nick

For some reason I didn't get updated from this thread...

Are you putting the computer in the middle of the room :) ? Stick in on a desk or less then 6" from the wall someplace inaccessible to short arms.

So how is the build going? There are some wifi adapters the size of just little nubs now if you still need one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315091

Other then that there is always a cheap 6' USB extension cable to move the adapter onto the desk and taping it down. 

Brad

Actually I got a little pcie network card at frys for pretty cheap. Its got a a second antenna and gets a lot better signal than the old one anyway.

Without putting the computer on top of a bookshelf there is no real way to keep it out of the kid's reach. He can reach things on top of tables, and if he can't, he stacks up toys and stuff in order to get whatever it is he wants. Given enough time unsurpervised he could get pretty much whatever. Although child locks on drawers and cabinets do slow him down a lot but only if they are really short (he can open the longer ones which let the drawer move more). We actually had to switch him over to a toddler bed because he was stacking up stuffed animals and trying to climb out of his crib.

The computer is actually all put together and finished being setup. It is working really well. I haven't used anything to push it to its limits yet. Waiting until the steam sale in june to get stuff like skyrim.