• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 11:23 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Raspberry pi - projects and ideas

Started by Nick, Jun 15, 2013, 09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Basic but interesting web-based control of GPIO pins:

http://roverpi.blogspot.com/2013/06/taking-leds-to-next-level-web.html

Brad - If you end up putting WIFI on the ship you could have a more advanced interface for controlling sounds from people laptops/phones.

zourtney

Jul 23, 2013, 11:27 AM #16 Last Edit: Jul 23, 2013, 12:51 PM by zourtney
I want to switch lights on and off. Simple enough, right? A little research shows I should be able to directly connect a solid state relay to a Pi's GPIO pins. I s'pose it might be prudent to stay in DC land as a first project, but flipping electrical sockets on and off via software just sounds so cool :)

zourtney

My followup project would be to set up a Bluetooth service on a Pi that scans for known phones, then does an action when they're found in range. Combining the two, you'd have an excessively complicated proximity light sensor!

Nick

I think I am going to use gphoto and the PI to turn my S1 IS camera (Or any new-ish powershot and some Nikon DSLR) into a remote controlled video/picture taker. Mount it atop vehicles! Make a water proof box and photograph squirrels! Spy on chickens! Leave a battery with it and do a time-lapse from the top of a mountain while you sleep! (Although the CHDK firmware allows that last one already.)

zourtney

Jul 23, 2013, 01:04 PM #19 Last Edit: Jul 23, 2013, 01:45 PM by zourtney
Nice. Camera automation would be fun.

Where did you all buy your Pis? (or is Brad the only one who has bought one so far?) I see them on Amazon for slightly more than they should cost...

Nick

I got mine at Newark around Christmas (when they had free shipping and were not in stock) and received it several weeks later. Now it seems you can get one within a week :)

http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-modb-512m/model-b-assembled-board-only/dp/43W5302

zourtney

Aug 03, 2013, 12:46 PM #21 Last Edit: Aug 03, 2013, 01:53 PM by zourtney
I got my Pi (thank you mailman). It's even smaller than I expected. Let the fun begin...

piedit!

Nick

Cool. I take it that by "PiEdit" you have it up and running? :)

Any plans for it yet?

zourtney

Aug 04, 2013, 03:17 PM #23 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2013, 03:23 PM by zourtney
Nothing in particular. More of a catalyst to get me playing with some electricity. Driving motors would be awesome, but I won't tackle anything like that any time soon. I picked up a cheap 5v relay that should be able to switch AC power. So that's what I'll start with, once I get past my "Hello world" phase.

I'm also impatiently waiting on a couple of hardware pieces in the mail. Mainly any way to connect to the RPi's header pins...without resorting to gingerly wrapping wires around the pins (which I mostly didn't try, by the way). That, and a batch of LEDs that are probably shipping from the other side of the world.

zourtney

Thread highjack! ...So, it's no submersible vehicle, but I did manage to build out a breadboard with a few LEDs and a RESTful API to control them 1, 2. It's nothing special, but it's a platform independent starting point for makin' me some internet-controlled hardware. The video below shows it in action via my no-effort web GUI.

How were you guys* thinking of building out remote-control capabilities for your* Pi's?
colloquially y'all, y'alls'

Nick

I was thinking web based for nice low bandwidth control. that and vnc or ssh for when its needed. Probably just ssh for system stuff.

zourtney

SSH and samba are good for dev (so you can edit source on a real computer). I'm going to play with websockets tonight. That's pretty much the ultimate low-bandwidth solution, as of now.

Nick

Yeah, something listening for signals on a specific port would be nice. No need for a webserver serving up pages, the server can be local to the controlling machine and send signals to the pi. Or just run a light-weight server on the pi.

zourtney

Aug 10, 2013, 11:03 PM #28 Last Edit: Aug 27, 2013, 08:03 AM by zourtney
I made my desk lamp blink via Raspberry Pi. Yay. And I got to learn some basic AC wiring along the way. Doubleyay.

Nick

That is pretty cool. You could remote control a whole room that way. Never have to get up to turn the light off again :)