• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:52 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Raspberry Pi controlled outlet box

Started by zourtney, Aug 14, 2013, 07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Aug 14, 2013, 07:42 PM Last Edit: Aug 14, 2013, 08:06 PM by zourtney
Alright, the hardware portion of my Pi-controlled AC outlet project is done! The 4 outlets are independently controllable via software.

Now, I had trouble finding a thorough tutorial for this simple project. I might come back and update this post with a parts list, some novice-friendly wiring diagrams, snarky commentary, etc. I might even write up a Randomland-proper article, if we can straighten out our image hosting.

But for now, here are some pictorial highlights...or catch 'em all!

Cody

This is even more awesome sounding when I can see pictures of it! I'd try it, but I'm not sure I have the patience or need for it.  :P
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Aug 17, 2013, 02:03 PM #2 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2013, 09:02 PM by zourtney
Haha, need? No, probably not. I'm not even sure what to do with it. Maybe some Christmas-time obnoxiousness? More permanently, I'll probably set it up in the living room or by the fish tank.

Anyway, as someone with a clue as to what he's doing, you could easily whip it out in an afternoon. The end result is quite basic. Basically, you're just wiring 4 switches that happen to be sitting snugly on a little blue circuit board. The biggest hurdle for me was the whole AC-wiring-demystification process.

But being (very) slow, careful, and wiring everything up 3 or 4 times in different configurations mean that I'll probably retain a good portion of what I learned. And that's what I really enjoyed about all this.

Edit: I can whip out a parts list and a juvenile wiring diagram, if you want to try it.

Edit 2: attached screenshot of my crappy web UI that lets you toggle outlets individually, or all at once.

zourtney

It ain't no pirate ship...but I did spent a few hours to make a phone app for my light controller project. Maybe I'll make an Android one now?

Brad

That would be cool! You going to make it so we can control your house remotely? haha

zourtney

Thank goodness for router firewalls :)