• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 11:30 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

I got an arduino

Started by Brad, Dec 23, 2013, 06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

So I just got an arduino uno for Christmas. I guess this means it's time for the web controlled pi/arduino robot.

Just have to figure out how to use this thing first... Guess I will make some LEDs blink or something.

Nick

Awesome! They are super easy to get started with. And for robots,  there is even an open source autopilot for all sorts of fun.

Brad

Where is a good place to get servos? I also received a USB servo controller (my Mom bought me a lot of vaguely related electronics stuff haha) but I dont have any servos to control yet.

Nick

Ebay! They are great for hobby stuff. There is also the us site and wearhouse for HobbyKing.com they have decent prices. Amazon is also decent for popular parts I think. Or if you want local there are hobby stores around. They tend to charge a bit f a premium though.

Going to hook the usb servo controller to the R-Pi? Sounds like a nice easy way to make a remote camera gimbal or something like that. Sounds fun!

Brad

Went to the library today because their online catalog showed they had some books on arduino and robotics. I was really disappointed in the quality of the books. Of the ones available all of them were the type where they assume you will be purchasing a robot kit. They walk you through what all the parts in the kit are and very brief descriptions of how they work and then give instructions for assembling the kit. Not at all what I am looking for. Maybe some of the books that where currently checked out are better? But even the generic robot building books were all kit-based. One of them was basically a glorified kit catalog with prices and websites and not much else.

It looks like I am going to be using online resources only. A lot of those have the same problem too... Buy my $100+ robot kit! Not looking to rebuild the wheel here, but plugging together something somebody else designed just doesn't seem that much fun.

Nick

Let's see... You need a servo or supper motor and some pwm to control them. Even better if you have a way to count he number of steps for better accuracy.  Then you need a motor controlling circuit. H-briges are good I think unless you are using servos or steppers for locomotion. I have some old cd and floppy drives if you want free motors. But they are cheap online.

That's about all I remember from when I was playing with micro controllers. Still have lots of spare ics and will share :-)